Sigh…Restaurant Week has officially come to a close. It was fun while it lasted, but don’t let the fact that it’s over stop you from planning your next culinary adventure. In fact, let me offer you a suggestion.
The Drawing Room. This place is the place.
Most of the buzz surrounding this Rush Street spot is about its bar, headed up by master mixologist Charles Joly – a 2011 James Beard Foundation semifinalist for Outstanding Wine and Spirits Professional (winners to be announced on March 21st) and America’s Best Bartender as named by LXTV’s On The Rocks. So yeah, the “culinary cocktails” are good. Here’s what we tried (and please don’t ask me what exactly all these items are – I have no idea!):
- The Drawing Room Manhattan: Tempelton, Punt e Mes, aromatic bitters, housemade maraschino
- The Nooner: Maker’s Mark, Navan Vanilla, maple syrup, fresh ginger, orange bitters
- The Bukowski Cocktail: Jeppsori’s Malort, Drambuie, honey syrup, lemon, basil (my favorite, pictured below)
- The Old Man, the Monk and the Sea: Old Weller 107, Benedictine, Lustau Dry Oloroso, Angostura
Bar too crowded to get a seat? No worries – Charles or one of his fellow bartenders (who are equally talented) come to you and take your order. Love that.
But let’s not forget about the food (because after a few of those cocktails, you’ll definitely need something in your stomach – trust me). To be honest, I didn’t expect much going into this experience because I figured the food would come second to the drinks, but that wasn’t true at all. Everything – literally everything – was delicious and went above and beyond my expectations. Here’s what we enjoyed:
- Steak Frites: Beef tartare, truffle mayo, frites
- Arugula Salad: Poached pear, coriander walnuts, celery root vinaigrette, Belgain endive, goat cheese
- Veal Cheeks: Green peppercorn root vegetable pave, creamed arugula, crispy beet thread, pickled Chanterelle sauce Chausser
- Mahi Mahi: Parsnip three ways, kumquat-pomegranate vinaigrette, swiss chard, leeks, kale rabi
- White Chocolate Blood Orange Bread Pudding: Rum caramel chantilly
- Profiteroles: Almond pastry cream, hazelnut toffee, chartreuse chocolate sauce
I can’t say it enough — I really enjoyed my entire experience and look forward to visiting again. For a special night out spent indulging in some of the best cocktails in town (heck, in the country) served up with some deliciously gourmet food, run…don’t walk…to The Drawing Room. Maybe I’ll see you there.
The Drawing Room, 937 N. Rush Street